Mustang Steve Clutch Bearing Kit – Product Review!

During my daily driving time with my ’67 Mustang around Thanksgiving, I began to notice some issues with the clutch pedal. The clutch didn’t seem to be disengaging and the pedal seemed to have a lot of motion to the side…

low clutch pedal

As you can see, the pedal was hanging oddly. After some research I thought this was worn out clutch pedal bushings and put in an order with Mustang Steve for one of his Ball Bearing Clutch Pedal Conversions. While I was waiting on the kit, I started tearing everything down and found more surprises.

cracked clutch pedal weld

Turns out the bushings were just fine, but the weld itself on the clutch pedal shaft was broken!

worn steering column gaskets

When the steering column came out, I found this gasket mess at the bottom. Seems that the gaskets had been leaking, probably a result of brake fluid leaking on them overtime.

painted FW

Inside the car, I cleaned up the rust on the firewall and painted it.

old pedal shaft bushings

The bearings came in and I started tearing down the pedal assembly. I’d forgotten that in High School my Dad had replaced the worn out clutch pedal bushings with a repair kit. The bushings were actually in great shape, but since everything was apart I decided to go ahead and finish up the install.

welding in bearing supports

Borrowing my Dad’s welder, I got some great assistance from my Father-In-Law as he welded in the bearing support cups and the spacers. He did a great job!

clutch pedal bearings

Here’s a shot of the bearing on the passenger side. Everything fit up great!

repaired pedal cluster

The pedal cluster fit up nicely and the clutch pedal hangs right!

bottom of steering column

Now the fun begins. ’67 Mustangs have two different gaskets. With the TCP steering column modifications, the gaskets no longer fit right…

firewall seal

Here’s a shot from the firewall side. As you can see, the gaskets fit “ok”, but aren’t sealed up. This was the best possible fit. I ended up filling the gap with RTV and effectively gluing the gasket together. I’m worried that the same failure is going to happen down the road that happened before, but for the moment it was the only option. Everything else went together smoothly and the clutch worked great! I have to say I’m very pleased with the kit. The instructions were very clear and everything went together very well. Highly recommend this modification to anyone with a manual trans classic Mustang.

speed dawg shift knob

Another goodie from Christmas was a new shift knob from Speed Dawg. They’re one of the few brands which offer a shift knob with the 1/2-20 thread needed for the T5 conversion handles for classic Mustangs with a 5 speed pattern. The quality of the knob is great and comes with several thread adapters. Bonus is that the knobs are Made in the USA!

That wraps up the progress on the Mustang for the moment. More updates on the Camaro soon. Our first real race will be with Spokes at COTA in 2 weeks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: