Mustang Progress

Little work on the Mustang this weekend and cleaning up a bit at the shop! Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but was stuck using my camera phone for the day…

First on the task list was pulling the rearend out of the Mustang. The car has had an odd “hop” in reverse that I hadn’t been able to trace down. Coupled withe some old rearend housing damage that I’d never gotten fixed, it was time to pull the axle and get some work done.

This is what happens when you buy a junkyard 9″ which has a bent axle… It’s been like this for years, but I’ve grown leary of it because the bearing race doesn’t fit very tight into the housing end. This coupled with the need to have the differential looked at means the whole housing comes out.

I don’t trust shops to return to me everything that I gave to them – or at least to return to me in the same condition that I gave to them. Stripped the axle and set aside everything except for the housing, pumpkin, and axles which will go to the rearend shop. I didn’t realize I didn’t snap any pictures of the axle until I got home. Work tally on the housing seems to be spring perches (maybe, pretty beat up), and one housing end.

Pulling the axle let me put a new garage toy to work. A Light Mine.

You can get these little gizmos from Summit or even Amazon.

They don’t put out quite as much light as I’d hoped, but they are good for spotlighting work and due to the magnets can be stuck just about anywhere.

Another tool I finally got around to putting up was my new air hose reel.

I had gotten it last Christmas as a gift from my mother-in-law and just now got around to putting it up. So far really happy with it and seems to be pretty decent quality. Based on good reviews and a reasonable price, this one by Neiko is the one I picked out.

At the end of the day I did a little more work on a side project that hasn’t progressed much recently, the Mustang center console.

Probably the worst of the pictures I took, but should show the basic idea. It’s still got a long ways to go, but the leather wrap came out halfway decent. I still need to trim the excess leather, finish up the aluminum center cover, wrap the box lid, cover/dress the storage box, AND figure out some sort of edging along the top edge of the console because I wasn’t able to wrap the sharp corners well. Still don’t know how I’m going to do that, but that’s for another day!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: